The general rule regarding tax returns is that the most recent tax federal return that was filed with the IRS needs to be submitted to the US Trustees office and the Bankruptcy Trustee after filing a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 Bankruptcy case.  In New York City most trustees require the last 2 years of tax returns to be submitted with the petition.  Usually a transcript from the IRS is sufficient.  Also, the trustee will require a copy of the petition and proof of income from the last 60 days before filing.  If there is a retirement plan a statement from the plan should also be submitted.  Also, debtor’s counsel should include any home or auto appraisals with the petition.


If you are considering filing for bankruptcy you should consult an experienced bankruptcy attorney.  If you live in New York State and would like a free no obligation consultation please contact my office at 212-244-2882.